Please note that all links open in a new window, so you can read an explanation, close the window, and continue reviewing your checklist. The keyboard command to close the current window is Control + F4.
Assistive technology, such as screen readers and magnification software, rely on the underlying code in your workbooks and charts to make sense of the information you present. People who are blind or have low vision can understand your data more easily if you create your Excel workbooks and charts with accessibility in mind.
I used a readable sans serif typeface/font of a minimum of 12 point
I created the required color contrast
I gave the worksheet a descriptive file name
- Why is it important to save using a descriptive name?
- How to save a worksheet with a descriptive name
- How to easily check the file name in Excel
Sheets and Tables
I gave all sheet tabs unique names, and removed blank sheets.
- Why is it important to use unique tab names and remove blank sheets?
- How to rename or delete sheet tabs
- How to easily check sheet tab names and blank sheets
I prefixed each table (titled) with the table name and table number
- Why do I need to assign numbers and names to tables?
- How to give a name/title to a table
- How to easily check the table name/title
I used a simple table structure, and specified column header information
- Why are tables important in Excel?
- How to make sure a table is accessible in Excel
- How to easily check headers and other issues in Excel
I made sure the table header repeats at the top of the table as it goes from one page to another
- Why is it important to repeat the header information?
- How to add headers
- How to check headers are repeated
Visual Content and Hyperlinks
I used alt text to create accessible images and other objects such as graphics and charts
- Why is alt text important in Excel?
- How to add alt text to different kinds of visual content
- How to check if visual content has alt text
I added text to ensure that color (and other sensory characteristics) were not the only way to convey meaning
- Why are color and other sensory characteristics important in Excel?
- How to add text to color and other sensory characteristics in Excel
- How to easily check color and other sensory characteristics in Excel
I added meaningful hyperlink text and ScreenTips
- Why are hyperlinks important in Excel?
- How to add descriptive hyperlinks and screen tips in Excel
- How to check hyperlinks in Excel
I excluded text boxes, watermarks, and flashing objects