Saving time and frustration by checking early
- Does the drawing represent the general shape of the item shown in print?
- Is the drawing large enough to be clear to a tactile reader?
- If there are smaller items within the general shape, are all of these included in the drawing?
- If there are multiple categories of smaller items, are they differentiated in braille?
- Will this difference be clear to a tactile reader?
- Are all necessary labels included?
- Does each label accurately reflect the print?
- Is each label spelled and contracted correctly?
- Are labels positioned correctly?
- Labels should be above or to the left of the labeled item whenever possible.
- Are all of the measurements that are given in print included in braille?
- Are all of the measurements shown in a format that is correct for this document?
“Ticked Items” (Grids/Graphs/Number Lines)
- Are the correct number of tick marks/bars/lines shown in every direction?
- Are the x-axis (horizontal) labels positioned correctly?
- When no number indicator is used, dots 1 2 3 of the first digit aligned with tick mark
- When a number indicator is used, dots 4 5 6 of the number indicator aligned with tick mark
- The bottom of all labels aligned horizontally
- Are the y-axis (vertical) labels positioned correctly?
- Dots 2 5 aligned with tick mark
- The last digit of all numeric labels aligned vertically
- A single zero label that applies to both axes aligned vertically with the y-axis labels and horizontally with the x-axis labels
- Does each plotted line/bar intersect the same points in print and in braille?
- Are plotted lines and points easy to find tactually?
- surrounded by negative space
- tick mark extending beyond a plotted point
- distinct textures and/or symbols
- Are appropriate arrowheads used?
- Does all braille appear to be in the same font?
Page numbers (do they correspond with your .BRF?)
Print page number
- Is the [lettered continuation] print page number correct?
Braille page number
- Is the braille page number correct?
- Does each graphic begin in cell 1?
- Is there a blank line before and after each graphic?
First line of braille
- Does the first braille line begin in the correct cell, and does the print page number end at the right margin?
- Do all items, including runovers, begin in the appropriate cell?
Braille page number
- Does the braille page number end at the right margin of the last braille line?
- Are headings formatted correctly?
- begin in the correct cell?
- have appropriate blank lines before and/or after?
- Is every single cell of braille on the page with the graphic correct?
(That is, does it match your .BRF exactly?)