Importance of Headings
- Headings are important visually. They are equally important for navigation via a screen reader.
- Different heading levels help the reader easily identify and navigate to a title, a section, or a subsection with the use of key commands.
- Logically arranged headings help organize content and create a visual/mental outline of the document.
Creating accessible headings
- Select the text you wish to use as a heading.
- On the Home tab, in the Styles group, select a heading style (for example, Heading 1 or Heading 2).
You can also use key commands to create the different headings. Pressing Alt + Control + 1 creates a level 1 heading, pressing Alt + Control + 2 creates a level 2 heading, and so forth.
Since it is as important to create the headings, as it is to structure them logically, let us take a look at an example on how to logically nest headings, and an easy way to visually check the headings in your document.