Importance of Using Built-in Tools
- Lists and columns are used to break up and simplify content.
- Screen readers cannot infer meaning just from formatting, such as using a dash as a way to create a bullet, or using spacing and tabs to create columns.
- Using built-in tools to create structure allows the screen reader to identify these features and convey such information to the reader.
Creating accessible lists
- Position the cursor where you want to create the list.
- Select the Home tab.
- In the Paragraph group, select the Bullets button or the Numbering button.
- Type each bulleted or numbered item in the list.
Creating accessible columns
- Select the content you want to make into columns.
- Click the Layout tab.
- Click the Columns button.
- Click on the icon representing the number of columns you want.